The holiday season is the most special time of year no matter where guests are, but they are especially magical in Walt Disney World. Throughout the four parks, two water parks, Downtown Disney, and Disney Resorts the décor and atmosphere are transformed into a winter wonderland for guests to enjoy. With special experiences that are exclusive to Walt Disney World during the holidays, guests are sure to have an amazing visit. From special decorations to larger than life baked goods, the holidays are a spectacular time to go on a Disney vacation. Here are seven things that Walt Disney World insiders love about the holidays at Disney:
1. Holidays Around The World At Epcot
In addition to the Candlelight Processional, Epcot’s World Showcase is home to some wonderful experiences each holiday season. Guests who visit each of the eleven countries in World Showcase can enjoy Holidays Around the World at Epcot where holiday figures from each culture appear to share traditions, holiday tales, and customs unique to that specific country. These wonderful experiences occur throughout each day in World Showcase and they are a great way for guests visiting during the holidays to enjoy the Christmas spirit while learning about other cultures.
2. Resort Decorations – The holidays at Walt Disney World doesn’t end with the four theme parks. Guests who are staying on property at a Disney Resort can also enjoy beautiful holiday decorations in the lobbies and common areas. Some of the Deluxe Resorts feature massive Christmas trees which are truly beautiful to see. Guests looking to enjoy these trees can visit Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. In addition to the trees in several resorts there are beautiful holiday touches everywhere that guests should definitely take the time to appreciate at each Disney Resort.
3. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
On select nights during the holiday season, the Magic Kingdom plays host to a special event which transforms the park into a winter wonderland. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party offers guests the chance to get into the holiday spirit with exclusive experiences and live performances. Guests can enjoy two showings of Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade which features Disney characters and a finale including Santa and real snow falling on Main Street. Guests can also marvel at Holiday Wishes: Celebrate the Spirit of the Season fireworks show which combines beautiful fireworks with cheerful holiday music for an unforgettable experience. Guests can also attend dance parties, meet characters decked out in their holiday attire, and enjoy complimentary cookies and hot chocolate.
4. Special Holiday Snacks – Walt Disney World has some amazing treats to snack on year round, but the holiday season introduces some amazing exclusive options! Guests can enjoy cookies decorated to look like snowmen and presents, gingerbread cookies, rice Krispie treats with holiday colored sprinkles, and candy apples decorated with holiday colors. In addition, Sleepy Hollow in the Magic Kingdom makes delicious peppermint ice cream and a very special peppermint cupcake can often be found at the Contempo Café in Disney’s Contemporary Resort. With so many amazing snacks to enjoy during the holidays, guests should definitely save room for dessert!
5. Gingerbread House
Every year the bakers at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa create an over the top gingerbread house that is entirely edible! The house is big enough that Cast Members work inside selling cookies and other holiday treats to guests. The massive gingerbread house is always decked out in a minute and impressive details made entirely by chocolate, frosting, and candy and guess should definitely take their time enjoying the house from all angles to fully appreciate it.
6. Decorations On Main Street – The holidays are an especially magical time in the Magic Kingdom as Main Street is decked out in beautiful and festive decorations. Garlands hang from the doorways and windows, Cinderella Castle is draped with the Castle Dream Lights, and festive details can be found virtually everywhere. Disney insiders know that by taking their time while exploring Main Street they can be sure to spot each holiday decoration and enjoy the details!